Scarborough A - ZThe A - Z is an alphabetical guide to people, places and events relating to theatre - with an emphasis on theatre in the round - in Scarborough. This is an ongoing project, produced in association with the Encyclopaedia at www.alanayckbourn.net with new content being regularly added. To begin exploring, click on a letter in the right hand column below.
A - Z
Click on a button
Firth, Tim: Award-winning playwright, lyricist and screenwriter whose professional writing career began at the Stephen Joseph Theatre in the Round and whose acclaimed first full-length play, Neville's Island, premiered at the venue.
Fish and Chip Theatre: An unrealised theatre concept by Stephen Joseph devised for Scarborough. The theatre in the round venue would have incorporated a fish and chip bar with free movement of the audience through performances. Intended to be an innovative space and for democratising theatre audience. The original plans for 'Fish and Chip Theatre' were donated to Scarborough Museums and Galleries as part of the Ayckbourn Collection in 2023.
Floral Hall: Former theatre / entertainment venue on Scarborough's North Side (Peasholm Road) which opened in 1910. Initially, Alexandra Gardens opened in 1908 with space for open air entertainment. In 1910, a glass roofed building was constructed in the performance space which ran as a theatre until 1987. It was demolished in 1989 with the Scarborough Bowls Centre now standing on the site.
Francis, Matthew: Interim Chief Executive in 2015 appointed by the Arts Council to run the Stephen Joseph Theatre as a result of financial difficulties. That year saw both the Artistic Director and Executive Director step down before a new team was installed in 2016.
Freeman, Stephen: Chief Executive of the Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough, from 2016 to 2018.
Futurist Super Cinema: See Futurist Theatre.
Futurist Theatre: A former theatre and cinema on the Foreshore. The site was originally occupied by Kiralfy's Arcadia Theatre from 1903 to 1920, which was demolished to make way for the Futurist Super Cinema in 1921 setting more than 2,400 people. Previously only occasionally used for live performance, it was extensively remodelled and re-opened as the Futurist Theatre in 1959. Further remodelling took place in 1968 including taking over the former Arcadia Theatre next door. During its latter years, films were reintroduced gradually becoming predominant until it was closed in 2014 before demolition in 2018. At the time of its closing, it was believed to be the largest single-screen cinema operating in the UK.
The Scarborough: A - Z section of the website is created in collaboration with Alan Ayckbourn's Official Website. Original research is by Simon Murgatroyd and copyright of the author. Please credit this website if reproducing the information.